- PhD, French Literature, May 2014, Certificate in French Studies, 09/06, NYU
- MFA, Literary Translation, May 2004, University of Iowa
- BA, French & English Literature (1st Class), June 2000, University of Glasgow
- Beyond TEI, June 2017, Digital Humanities Summer Institute
- R, Interactive Graphics, and Data Visualization, June 2016, Digital Humanities Summer Institute
- HTML and CSS, Fall 2015, City University of New York
- Text Mapping as Modeling, June 2015, Digital Humanities Summer Institute
- Advanced User Research, Summer 2015, New York University
- Out-of-the-Box Text Analysis for Digital Humanities, June 2013, Digital Humanities Summer Institute
Columbia University Libraries
ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF SCHOLARLY COMMUNICATION AND PROJECTS
Modern Language Association
Head of Digital Initiatives
October 2016–February 2018
- Manage the development, promotion, and launch of major grant-funded projects
- Coordinate project teams and resources to ensure quality, on-time deliverables
- Manage relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Represent projects at scholarly communication events
- Develop and support Open Access publication initiatives
- Oversee development, awareness building, and outreach for interdisciplinary repository
- Communicate project success via presentations, white papers, and reports
- Co-author grant narratives
- Manage project staff
Project Manager for Digital Initiatives
February 2016–October 2016
- Project managed major grant-funded projects
- Researched, created, and maintained user personas and user stories
- Coordinated project teams and resources to ensure quality, on-time deliverables
- Managed relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Participated in scholarly communication events for outreach and research purposes
- Created awareness of scholarly communication issues as they relate to user base
- Developed and supported Open Access publication initiatives
- Built awareness of interdisciplinary repository and coordinated outreach
- Communicated project success via presentations, white papers, and reports
- Researched and wrote grant narratives
Managing Editor, MLA Commons
December 2014–February 2016
- Managed major academic social network (increased membership by 150% in 1 year)
- Commissioned and managed content for multiple sites
- Advised users on content strategy and design
- Conceptualized, organized, and led engaging outreach events and initiatives
- Wrote engaging user-facing documentation: guides, newsletters, white papers
- Developed, coordinated, and integrated usability studies and competitive analyses
- Crafted network’s social media strategy and nurtured its reputation
Manager, Outreach and Community
September 2013–December 2014
- Planned and created usability studies, personas, beta testing sessions, surveys
- Served as voiced of user to set development priority and product strategy
- Managed community budget to ensure ROI
- Planned, organized, led, and assessed success of national and international outreach
- Managed product social media strategy and presence
- Reported on higher education/library trends to company stakeholders
- Commissioned, edited, published, and publicized content using WordPress CMS
E-course developer & lecturer, French and Expository Writing
New York University
Instructor of French
September 2006–August 2008; September 2011–December 2012
Belfast, Glasgow, London, and New York
January 1997–December 2005
- Co-PI, Mellon Foundation Grant 21700691, Humane Metrics in the Humanities and Social Sciences ($310,000) (2017–18)
- Project Manager, Mellon Foundation Grant 21500710, Humanities Commons – Phase III, awarded to Modern Language Association ($310,000) (2017–18)
- Project Manager, Mellon Foundation Grant 21500710, Humanities Commons – Phase II, awarded to Modern Language Association ($225,000) (2015–17)
- Project Manager, National Endowment for the Humanities Grant HK-250665-16, Humanities CORE, awarded to Modern Language Association ($300,000) (2016–2019)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS AND TRANSLATIONS
- Agate, Nicky, and Mark P. Newton. Humanities CORE. White Paper. Washington DC: NEH, 08/15. http://dx.doi.org/10.17613/M6FW2W
- Agate, Nicky et al. “From the Ground Up: A Group Editorial on the Most Pressing Issues in Scholarly Communication. Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication. 5(1). http://doi.org/10.7710/2162-3309.2196
- The Shine by Frédéric Mari, translation Nicky Agate, Libre Edition, 2010
UPCOMING TALKS AND WORKSHOPS
- Duke Expansive Digital Publishing Workshop. Invited workshop participant. 16–17 April 2018.
- “A University Library and a Scholarly Society Walk Into a Bar… Leveraging Open-Source Technologies Together to Help Researchers Tell a More Textured Story About Their Work.” Presenter. Library Publishing Forum. 22 May 2018.
RECENT TALKS AND WORKSHOPS
- “Integrating Digital Humanities into the Web of Scholarship with SHARE.” Invited workshop participant. 12–13 February 2018.
- “Humane Metrics and the Value of Values.” Invited speaker. ARL Executive Seminar. Denver, CO. 11 February 2018.
- “Open Humanities 101.” Roundtable moderator. Modern Language Association Annual Convention. New York, NY. 5 January 2018.
- “OER in the DR.” Presenter. Open Education 2017. Anaheim, CA. 10–13 October 2017.
- “Open Humanities 101.” Course leader. Force11 Scholarly Communication Institute. 31 July–4 August 2017.
- “Towards values-based evaluation in the humanities and social sciences.” Presenter. Research Evaluation in the Social Sciences and Humanities. Antwerp, Belgium. 5–7 July 2017.
- “Humanities Commons: Building an Open Networked Repository for Humanities.” Presenter. Digital Humanities Summer Institute Colloquium. 12 June 2017.
- OpenCon 2016. Invited participant. 11–14 November 2016.
- With Mark Newton. “Building Repositories Better Together: Columbia University Libraries and the MLA.” Presenter. DLF Forum. Milwaukee, WI. 6–9 November 2016.
- Triangle Scholarly Communication Institute. Invited participant. Chapel Hill, NC. 9-13 October 2016.
- “Scholarly Communication and Collaboration Across Disciplinary Boundaries: Building Humanities Commons.” Presenter. HASTAC, Tempe, AZ, May 2016.
- “The Role of Scholarly Societies in Facilitating Social Knowledge and Sharing in the Humanities.” Presenter. ACLA, Cambridge, MA, March 2016.
- Founding Editor, The Idealis (current)
- Editorial Board, Journal of Librarianship and Scholarly Communication (current)
- Steering Committee, Renaissance Knowledge Network (current)
- Force Scholarly Communication Institute Organizing Committee (current)
- Force2018 Organizing and Outreach Committee (2018)
- AAUP Digital Publishing Committee, 2017–18
- Program Representative, National Digital Stewardship Alliance (2016–2018)
- Force Scholarly Communication Institute Program Committee (2017)
- Digital Preservation Organizing Committee, 2016
- Member, Editorial Board, Technoculture, 2013–15
TOOLS & LANGUAGES
WordPress, BuddyPress, CSS, French, Google Analytics, HTML, Moqups, Omeka, R
ACRL, ALA, FORCE11, HASTAC, MLA